Silver Engineering Works was started in 1933 by Harold Silver and Fred Roberts. With a total capital of $5,000, they took over the old Box Iron Works and invented the Ogden Beet Piler, the 1st commercially usable sugar diffuser, and the Silver Model 63 continuous centrifugal.
During WW II, the Department of the Navy commissioned Silver to design and build landing barges for the South Pacific Theater of Operations. The subsections of twenty-four ships were prefabricated in the Denver, shipped to California via railroad, and assembled for launching.
In 1983, Steve Applehans joined the Silver team with father Don and brother Ron. In 1986, Ted Milner, an engineer for Silver, designed the 3630, 4630, and the 5230 Continuous Centrifuges which was groundbreaking technology that forever changed the way sugar had been processed.
In 2007, Steve Applehans partnered up with two of his sons, Dominic and Joey, and changed the name back to the original Silver Engineering Works. Their team provides over 90% of the sugar equipment (Crystallizers, Continuous Centrifuges, Fiberizers, etc.) utilized in sugar factories and refineries worldwide.
We hope you found these facts interesting and informative!